Developer: Apps From Outer Space, LLC
Current Version: 2.1
Last Updated: 7 months ago
Download Size: 969.3 KB - Download
The popular newspaper puzzle on your desktop. Also known as cryptograms, CryptoQuotes have each letter replaced with some other letter. Work thru puzzles at your own pace, with useful tools to help you if you get stuck. CryptoQuote shows conflicts such as using the same solution letter more than once.
* 2363 carefully selected quotes
* Simple, clean interface
* Helpful tools: Get a hint, word search and letter frequency
* Infinite undo and redo
* Enter a puzzle from the newspaper, or create your own
* Print puzzles to take them with you or share
* Use placeholder characters (?, #, etc.)
* Customize colors for guesses, hints, warnings, and placeholders
* Share your favorite quotes via Facebook or Twitter
Great if you like: Sudoku, Crossword puzzles, word search, cipher, encryption, code solving, or decoding.
* Fullscreen support on Lion. Largest puzzle text and no distractions.
* Sandboxing support to run safely and securely
* Updated to reflect Apps from Outer Space, LLC
Most Helpful Reviews
Love the new Intel version - I've been using the old PPC version of Cryptoquote for quite some time now and with the pending Lion release I checked John's site for an Intel version. Fortunately John had recently released his new Intel Cryptoquote. I love it. I starts up instaneously compared to the slower PPC startup requiring Rosetta. Anyone who likes word puzzles and Cryptograms specifically should download and use this program. At a minimum I do a couple of Cryptoquotes each night before shutting down my computer. No erasers required. Fun quotes. Well written program that is very easy to use. Five stars from me.
More Reviews for Current Version
Glitchy - I’ve used and enjoyed this app for several years, but it’s glitchy now. Getting hints crashes it. There’s a workaround for that, tho (jWhen it gives you the hint and the option to Fill In or Cancel, choose Cancel and enter the hint manually). But the thing that drives me nuts is that 99% of the hints are not attributed correctly. For example, the last puzzle I did was abut FDR and his Fireside Chats, but it was attributed to Mark Twain. Twain died in 1910, before FDR ever went into politics! I have tried to contact the developer on his Facebook page to see if he was aware, but he doesn’t respond. I’ve tried asking if there’s a new version down the pike, but no answer. Version 2.1 came out in 3012 and it’s time for a refresher. I’d give it 5 stars if it were updated.