Developer: Stand Alone, Inc.
Current Version: 1.02
Last Updated: 3 years ago
Download Size: 5 MB - Download
Play Crossword puzzles from newspapers around the world right on your Mac! Each day many newspapers provide their crossword puzzles online; with one click you can download and solve them, get hints, view clues, and track how quickly you're improving. Start a puzzle on your Mac, then finish it on your iPhone or iPad.
The #1 Crossword Player on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch just landed on your Mac!
• New puzzles every day
• Synchronize puzzles between your Mac, iPhone and iPad
• Right-click a square to view hints
• Automatically downloads all of today's puzzles
• Nearly unlimited puzzles from many different sites
• US and UK Cryptic puzzles available
• Hints, Websites, and Clue lookups
• Enter answers in 'ink' or 'pencil'
• Quickly see your recently played, or sort by date, provider, or difficulty
• Detailed info on each puzzle
• Post your solve times online and compare with other solvers
• Grab older puzzles with a click
Using Puzzle Sync, you can pick up a puzzle on any device, work on it, and finish it on another, seamlessly.
Included Puzzle Sources:
• The Onion A.V. Club Crossword
• Philadelphia Inquirer Sunday
• Village Voice
• Chronicle of Higher Education
• The Independent
• Manchester Evening News
• King Features Crosswords
• Telegraph UK Quick & Cryptic Crosswords (subscription required)
• People Magazine
• Custom Subscription available from Brendan Emmett Quigley
* Providers list subject to change. Some providers may no longer be publishing, but may sill have older puzzles available in Archive form, accessible via the "Download Older Puzzles" option *
•• For support, please visit our website at http://www.standalone.com ••
Please note that Crosswords requires an internet connection to download puzzles. Puzzle Sync requires the purchase of Crosswords from the iOS App Store.
- added printing support
- better help and feedback
- added optional in-app browser
- fixed several connectivity issues
- added cut/copy/paste support
- added additional keyboard shortcuts
- added menu commands to save and restore progress via Puzzle Sync
Most Helpful Reviews
Great Crosswords! - I have this app on my iPhone and my Ipad, now I can finally play on my Mac. Love the easy download and quick access to puzzles. THe new paper puzzle windows look awesome. 5 stars.
Crashes - A lot.
More Reviews for Current Version
Good app but issues exist - I have the app on my Mac, iPhone and iPad and have difficulty with my Mac and Ipad getting my id and password verified. Very frustrating.
New Subscriber - I am so recent a subscriber its about one hour if that, since my subscription…buggy, and not exactly as described. Cannot sync with my iPad, which was why I bought it—in spite of the bad reviews. I would like my money back to purchase the Ipad subscription.
Strange bugs that are never fixed - Good basic program, but totally let down by zero support for bug fixes from the company who sells it on the app store. The latest bug makes it impossible to obtain new puzzles from the first to the 15 of any month. The company behind this porgram seems to think that they can write a porgram once and walk away from it and just collect new sales. Should be taken down from the app store.
Badly needs fixing - I own this app on the Mac, iPhone and iPad. With the releas of 10.11.4 on the Mac, this app is now broken. The display is not functioning correctly, either on individual puzzles or on the puzzle list. There are also some anomalies with the control buttons in the upper left of the screen, the only app I own that still has the non-flat design. In addition, it’s a toss-up whether special features in a puzzle (circles, shading, etc.) actually show up. The LA Times daily puzzle is particularly prone to this problem, as is the NY Times crossword. As others have noted, tech support is responsive and acknowledges the problems, but Stand Alone just don’t seem willing to spend the money to get this fixed, as demonstrated by two years of no updates. It’s time to stop just collecting money from the App Store and start reinvesting some money in development and maintenance.
great, but not without it's problems - I love the app, but I am frustrated that it sometimes gives nonsense answers to the crossword puzzles. I recently finished a puzzle with no help, but upon completion, it didn't credit the puzzle with completion. I requested that the puzzle show any errors, and lo and behold there were several? I checked out my answers vs. those the game supplied, and I am convinced that the game is flawed. The answers given were gibberish. I have only run across this problem this once, but it needs to be fixed, especially if I come across this problem again. Otherwise, this is a great crossword puzzle app!