Crossworders' Dictionary and Gazetteer 5
Current Version: 5
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 22.9 MB - Download
Two Million word crossword puzzle dictionary and geographical reference.
This fifteen thousand (15,000) page digital dictionary/gazetteer (version 5) supplements all other paper crossword dictionaries and is by far the largest and most complete work of its kind. It is the heavyweight of crossword references. The dictionary is over thirteen thousand (13,000) pages long and the gazetteer content is over fifteen hundred (1,500) pages. The software allows for extensive easy searching and browsing, including specialized gazetteer (geography) sub-searches to find rivers, cities, language, coin, measure, VIPs and much more. The total work contains over two hundred and eighteen thousand (218,000) individual look-up words with over two million total words including look-up word definitions (clues) and supporting information, all cross referenced. The included word entries are timely (year 2011) and extend back over seventy years to represent more puzzler clues than can be found in anything available. Also included is almanac material (i.e. Nobel Prize & Academy Award winners, Shakespeare, sports, film and songs) and extensive foreign language content. A new feature of version 5 allows the user to generate their own dictionary of up to fifty thousand (50,000) look-up words with an allotment of 50 characters for clues for each look-up word. This user created private dictionary has the same search and sort functions as that of the main dictionary.
* Two million total words
* Over 15,000 Equivalent paper pages
* Over 1,500 pages of geographical reference material
* User Created Private Dictionary (up to 50,000 look-up words with several optional clues)
* Cross referenced
* Easy word & clue search / browse
* Special gazetteer (geography) search feature (cities, rivers, coin, mountain, lakes VIP etc.)
* Extensive foreign language content
* Modern and historical content
* Content is from actual crossword puzzles
* Almanac material (Nobel Prizes, Academy Awards, Shakespeare, film, song, Walk of Fame)
New features and content in version 5;
- Clue key word search has added a "Whole Word" option. (i.e. "cat" will not find "caterpillar").
- A history of search word patterns will be generated for easy repeat searching (i.e. "???A?", "B??E??", "?????ERT", "B????Y" ).
- 100,000 new words and clues.
- Almanac material has been updated.
Most Helpful Reviews
Great way to solve the unsolvable - I've been using this application when I was still on a PC, and that's a long time ago! It really works to solve those clues you just can't get, especially for the Saturday NY Times puzzle. It's also very helpful if you've ever tried constructing a puzzle and need to find a word. If you're a serious crossword person, this application is a must for your computer… especially at $8.99!