Developer: Fifth Star Labs LLC
Current Version: 1.4.0
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 170.7 MB - Download
Cosmographia is a Solar System simulation that combines beautiful 3D graphics with real data for the positions and appearances of planets, moons, dwarf planets, asteroids and spacecraft. Navigate freely throughout the Solar System and adjust the time to observe past, current, and future events.
The incredible graphics are a great showcase for a new computer, with dynamic shadows and reflections, realistic planetary atmospheres and beautifully rendered star fields.
* Cosmographia makes intensive use of the graphics processing unit, and the current version of the app does not support older computers with Intel GMA 950 graphics processors.
With Cosmographia, you can:
- See high resolution maps for all planets and moons that have been visited by NASA and ESA spacecraft.
- Follow the Cassini mission to Saturn as it cruises low over the surfaces of icy moons. Or, ride along with the Dawn mission to the giant asteroids Vesta and Ceres.
- View eclipses on Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, and other worlds.
- Fly along with Earth-orbiting satellites. Find out when the International Space Station, Hubble, and others will be over your home town.
- Watch volcanic eruptions on Jupiter's moon Io.
- Zoom in on an extremely high resolution map of the Earth, with individual roads and buildings visible. Switch between different maps for each month and see changes in snow cover and vegetation.
- See all 500,000+ known asteroids orbit the Sun.
- Watch aurora borealis flickering above the Arctic Circle.
- Capture images and record Quicktime movies of everything on screen.
- Follow near-Earth asteroid 2011 MD through its close approach in June 2011.
- Supports an anaglyph stereo mode that works with red/blue 3D glasses.
Cosmographia includes short articles about over 50 Solar System bodies. Each description contains links to live viewpoints, so you can quickly check out interesting objects and events in the Solar System.
New Solar System gallery screen for quickly navigating to planets, moons and asteroids
Planetary atlas: labels for surface features of planets and moons
Detailed 3D model of the asteroid Vesta
Trajectory and information about the newly discovered near-Earth asteroid 2012 DA14
Added switch to select between metric and Imperial/US units
New distance measuring tool: choose any two objects and display the distance between them and their relative speed
Most Helpful Reviews
Great app! - Cosmographia is a great solar system simulation! The graphics are phenomenal, and there's tons of information. You can play around with dates to see how things looked in the past or how things will look in the future. Past, present, and future Eclipses as well as other astronomical events can be watched right from your computer! You can follow planets, moons, asteroids, and satellites along their courses, altering speed as you go. It's fun to be able to see where satellites on current missions are located, where they will be, and where they have been exactly. It's also great to record quicktime movies with. I really recommend Cosmographia to anyone with an interest in Astronomy, or someone who just wants to look at some great graphics and enjoy observing the world we live in. **New Update V 1.1.0: The new update is great! It functions very well, and the new maps, missions, and objects are very cool!**
Misleading! - If you want to pay $10 for an app that is nothing but an overcomplicated virtual solar system that doesnt do what it says it does, then by all means waste your $10 like i just did! By the way, the "5 Star" reviews had to have been written by the developers.
More Reviews for Current Version
Cool App - cosmographia is not as bad as they are saying it is, in fact, not even close! this app is good for a NEW computer WITH LOIN, which most people don't hve any how. If you are haveing problems with this app, try the following: make sure you have Loin™, OS X 10.6.6 or later, 64-bit processor, a new computer like an iMac 27-inch, mid 2011, the kind of computer I have, make sure your iMac is not an old one, another thing you may need to try if you turn on all the add-ons, try not do that because it may crash the app or slow it down a lot. One more thing, I'm not Chris Laurel or someone who works for him, I'm just someone who brought this app and liked it. If you want another cool space app, try CosmicCrawler or SkySafari, SkySafari Plus, or SkySafari Pro. Still, you should get this app.
Unusably slow on Retina Macbook - I really like this program and wish I could say something better about it. After upgrading to Retina Macbook (OSX 10.8.2) it still crashes and/or freezes my system (force quit won't work) and is now unusably slow in addition. Automatic graphics switching is disabled, I even created a new account on my notebook to prevent it from reading any old configuration data. Sadly, nothing I tried helps. => great concept, severe technical problems at least for me Please provide a fix soon. I will rate it 5 stars if you do.
I love the app! - Thanks for making the app even better! lots of new cool features,AMAZING graphics,helpful informations! Works Great!
Unbearably slow - Great idea and love the concept but no matter what I do including disable all the special effect it is still way too slow. It's like playing Battlefield 3 at 10fps. I have a Retina Mac Book pro with 16 gigs of ram. It should be able to handle this with ease, somthing is wrong with the coding… Pleas fix and I will rate higher.
Please Fix Preformance for Retina MacBook - I have a 15' macbook pro retina with a 2.6 GHz i7. The program is chugging at an ubearable 2 fps. I couldn't imagine that the problem is that my mac is to slow or is not fast enough since it is new and has even a faster processor than my old macbook (on which is ran pretty well by the way). I love the program, but completly unusable. PLEASE FIX IT!