Charts & Tides
Developer: Navimatics Corporation
Current Version: 1.3.15159
Last Updated: 2 years ago
Download Size: 30.5 MB - Download
Charts&Tides is the new must-have marine navigation software for the Mac. It provides access to charts, tides, ActiveCaptain information, GPS navigation and more in a well designed and integrated package. Use it at home to research and plan your trip or add a GPS device and use it on your boat to navigate a route to your final destination.
Charts&Tides was designed with ease of use in mind. The interface is intuitive and tasks have been streamlined. Unlike other marine software, you no longer need to download, store and manage individual charts or load them into the software; we have done the legwork for you and compiled large area charts that combine information from multiple sources.
In more detail:
- Provides continuous and seamless large area charts derived from NOAA and CHS vector cartography.
- Shows tide levels and current speeds on the chart using easily interpreted icons. Allows you to judge the water situation around you with a single glance.
- Integrates with the ActiveCaptain interactive cruising guidebook providing you with access to thousands of marinas, anchorages, hazards and other local knowledge.
- Stores the entire ActiveCaptain database offline so that it is always available to you, even without an Internet connection.
- Allows you to instantly search thousands of chart features and the ActiveCaptain database.
- Supports waypoints, routes, tracks and allows you to import and export them in GPX format.
- Supports GPS devices that transmit in the NMEA 0183 or GPSD format. Route navigation with automatic waypoint sequencing is supported.
- Supports AIS devices and Closest Point of Approach (CPA) computations and alerts, including spoken alerts. Set the CPA and TCPA and hear the computer speak the alerts to you!
- Comes with a dark UI that looks good during the day and will preserve your night vision when it is dark.
The software comes with a world base map, but does not come prepackaged with any detailed marine charts. You can purchase detailed marine charts from within the application. You can also use the software without purchasing additional charts.
- Updated for OS X Yosemite
- Misc other fixes
Most Helpful Reviews
Great app - This is a very good app for route planning and general surfing around areas of interest. It has an ActiveCaptain link which is invaluable for exploring new areas, has a good new route planner, and most of all, is aesthetically pleasing to use, with clear graphics and nice colors. Some of the competitors should look at this layout as a guide. Have yet to try it out while on the boat, but will report back. Now all that is needed is the iPad app that can pair with this and it will be a winner.
Clamshoal - Had a serious problen when attempting to edit routes by moving waypoints. As a professional mariner with over 37 years experience I am very disappointed with this app. I wanted to get a refund after 5 hours of trying to edit a route and discovering that the actual app didn’t follow its help screens. I suggest that you get a different route planning app.
More Reviews for Current Version
No support, and restore purchases crashes - I like this program on my iPad. It work well for browsing cruising areas, and looking at the tides. It’s definately not a full blown navigation software. The issue I have with this version is I am unable to restore my previous purchase of 2015 US Charts. It will download about 80% of it before it crashes and gives me a store error. I would love to give this a better rating, but, I have never gotten a response from the developer after two emails.
No support or contact - Looks like it could be a good app but after downloading I simply had a couple question. They provice no phone, no support, and do not answer repeated email. Can’t really go forward paying for yearly charts if there is seemingly no company behind the purchases
JUNK CHARTS - I tried to download several times..had to pay for it twice…once I opened and looked at I deleted the charts….they are next to garbage and totally not user friendly. You are better off using your eyes when cruising.