Developer: Glare Technologies
Current Version: 1.5.5
Last Updated: 3 years ago
Download Size: 9.9 MB - Download
Chaotica is a next-generation fractal art creation environment, designed for both novices and experienced professionals.
Novice users can enjoy editing the included examples and randomly generated fractals to easily produce gorgeous, customised desktop wallpapers, perfect for HD displays.
Professional users can produce stunningly detailed print renders effortlessly thanks to the modern, high-powered rendering engine.
Chaotica Free is limited to 1.23 megapixel still images (e.g. 1280x960) and up to 30 second 480p animations, while Chaotica HD can generate high definition wallpapers up to 4 megapixels (e.g. 2560x1600) and amazing 720p animations up to 3 minutes long. Chaotica Studio has no limits whatsoever!
● Easily generate an enormous variety of stunning random fractals.
● Powerful built-in editor for ultimate control and artistic expression.
● Keyframe animation support to easily create amazing motion-blurred videos.
● Apophysis / Flam3 compatibility - Turbocharge your existing flames!
● Unrivaled image quality - Gorgeous images out of the box!
● Modern rendering engine - No special hardware required, leaves other renderers in the dust.
● Real-time imaging controls - Tweak your render to perfection without losing time.
What is fractal art?
Fractal art is a digital art medium with a very rich creative space.
Though it's based on mathematics, Chaotica's user interface abstracts much of it away to provide an expressive artistic process.
* Updates for Mac App Store
* Improved threading, should fix any hangs and improve CPU utilisation during animation playback
* Parameter browser window remembers its size and position
* Added confirmation dialog when closing while rendering
* Added mirror_x and mirror_y transforms
* Added crackle transform by slobo777 (works differently, slower than plugin for large cell sizes, faster for smaller)
* Weights and shader randomisation now works with animation, i.e. you can randomise at different times and it will interpolate
* Fixed param browser to use current animation time
* Iterator weights, shader parameters, camera transform parameters and Apophysis DLL plugin parameters can now be animated
* Per-iterator time scaling, to adjust the amount of motion blur over time
* World editor shows keyframes and tangents
* Faster and more accurate interpolation
* Added play button for animation preview at a target FPS
* Added new empty world menu item, updated help menu links to tutorials and forum
* Added collideoscope transform by Michael Faber
* Added no_edge parameter to crop and cropn, to eliminate the "bright dot" from Apophysis limitations
* Removed undo depth limit
* Updated examples
* New flam3_transforms don't contain a linear transform
* New worlds no longer inherit previous camera settings
Most Helpful Reviews
An amazing, life-changing program. - I have been delving into the world of Chaotica over the last couple months, and I can say it's absolutely changed my life, and become my absolute favorite way to create art. There are entire universes hidden in the combination of parameters. It can come with a somewhat steep learning curve, but the manual on their website describes the basic layout, and if you click File > Browse Examples you can delve into some premade worlds which will give you an idea just how powerful this software is. If you are a good study, I would recommend keeping a notebook with a list of parameters. (Go into the World Editor and record the Iterators, Types of Transforms, angles/lengths of Pre/Post Affine Transforms.) This will help organize what Transforms do what, when applied with others. Combined with the "New Random Worlds" button, you can discover/create places you could never imagine or create by starting with a blank canvas and paint. It is like a conversation with a powerful mathematical abstraction machine, and I've had some experiences nothing short of synchronistic/spiritual when using it (discovering natural patterns like the branching-patterns of ferns or trees gives you an idea of the physical forces that shape these in real life). "Save world" will allow you to revisit these places and experiment with them as much as you'd like. This is a deep, powerful program and I like having the Chaotica Studio to make as high-res images as I like, for printing purposes. (If you'd like a 20"x30" image at 300pixels/inch, (magazine quality) the resolution has to be 6000x9000, which is far larger than the standard version allows. Enjoy!
More Reviews for Current Version
Don’t buy Studio - Chaotica makes GORGEOUS images. I’m a professional visual effects artist that was excited to use Chaotica in my work. The only reason I paid the extra for Studio was for the extra animation support. But it’s awful. You’d think there was a button for rendering animations after shelling out extra cash for it. Nope. It can render animations (VERY slowly and ONLY to a PNG sequence), but getting it set up is janky and unpredictable. Their last update was almost 3 years ago, so I’m not confident that a “render video” button/option is ever coming. Get the Free or HD version instead.
Great App, but with file handling glitches. - I really want to give this five stars, because this is the only program I have found for Mac that does anything quite like it. However, there are problems with the file handling in OS X that will cause Chaotica to freeze. Opening a saved world directly from the menu will do this, as will trying to set the destination folder for batch processing- but not all the time. It would also save a lot of time if the app remembered the last and/or default folder used, as opposed to having to navigate to it from root directory each time. The functionality and resulting graphics of Chaotica are simply excellent, but I think more refinements need to be made when porting this to OS X.