Developer: SuperMegaUltraGroovy, Inc.
Current Version: 3.5.5
Last Updated: 2 months ago
Download Size: 32.4 MB - Download
**Apple Design Award Winner**
Capo helps you learn to play the songs in your music collection by ear. Its sophisticated, easy-to-use features will have you learning to play more songs in less time.
• GET THE CHORDS: Capo analyzes the songs you load by "listening" to them, and then displays all the chords it hears. In addition to naming the chords, Capo can show diagrams for guitar, ukulele, banjo, mandolin and 4-6 string bass players. When Capo misses a chord, or gets it wrong, you can correct the detected chords easily, and your changes get saved with the song. You can specify alternate chord voicings, and for all you lefties out there: we've got you covered with our left-handed display mode. Rock on, southpaws!
• CHANGE THE SPEED: Slow down (or speed up) your music without changing its pitch, so you can practice with the recording at a comfortable pace. Its high-quality time stretching engine ensures that your music sounds great at any speed. Export your speed-adjusted songs for use in other applications or devices.
• CHANGE THE KEY: Quickly transpose your music to a different key so you can play or sing along with it comfortably. The chords and chord diagrams update immediately to reflect the new key as you drag the pitch slider.
• LOOP PLAYBACK: Loop sections of a song for practice or sharing by creating regions. Simply drag on the waveform to create looping regions that snap to the beat and loop in time with the original recordings. Name the looping regions or colour code them to stay organized. Or export your regions for use in other applications.
• EXTRACT OR ELIMINATE INSTRUMENTS & VOCALS: With Capo's cutting-edge isolation effect, you can more easily hear the parts of a song you are trying to learn by simply adjusting a few sliders. Extract the sound of a single instrument/vocal to hear it more clearly, or eliminate it to create a custom backing track.
• GENERATE TABLATURE: Record the notes you hear in a song — simply by using your mouse and clicking the notes you see on the spectrogram. No longer do you have to keep a notepad at hand to transcribe solos, because your transcriptions are saved for when you return to learning, or playing a song.
• ADD A 'VIRTUAL CAPO' / CHOOSE ALTERNATE TUNINGS: Quickly audition a song's chords using different frets and alternate tunings so you can find out where it’s most comfortable to play, or to better match your instrument. When setting a fret to place a "virtual capo", Capo automatically adjusts its chord diagrams so they are displayed in relation to the capo.
• METRONOME AND COUNT-IN: Rehearse like a pro and improve your timing by playing along with a song-synchronized click track. Use the count-in feature to give yourself a bar or two to take a deep breath before rocking out with your favorite songs.
• SAVE CHANGES & COLLABORATE: All your work while learning a song (e.g. editing chords, creating loops) gets saved in a 'Project' while you work. When you open that song again, you’re ready to pick up where you left off. You can also share your projects and collaborate with students, friends or bandmates using email, AirDrop, Messages, or simply by copying the project to another Mac.
• SHARE PROJECTS BETWEEN DEVICES: Easily share your work between your Mac and your iPhone/ iPad, when you also have Capo touch (purchased separately from the iTunes App Store.) Using iCloud, changes you make to your songs are kept up-to-date on all your devices so you can be ready to continue where you left off whether you made the changes at home on your computer, or while traveling on the road.
• LOAD MUSIC FILES: Capo can open, play and analyze the songs you purchased from the iTunes Store as well as MP3, M4A, AIFF, and WAV audio files.
Note: As with all apps, Capo cannot play music that is protected using Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology. This includes streaming content from Apple Music and other services.
• When the pitch of a song is modified, that change is now reflected while scrubbing audio
• Fixed some parts of the UI where incorrect fonts were specified
• Chords are no longer rendered with accidentals that are overly "spaced out" on macOS 10.11+
• When displaying chord inversions (e.g. the 'F#' in D/F#), accidentals are now rendered the same as the root note
• Fixed an issue that would cause audio playback to get stuck during playback after rapid seeking—usually near the start of the file
Some of the above fixes are based on the crash reports and feedback emails that are submitted by our users. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us, and please keep the feedback coming! It helps us make Capo the best app that it can be!
Most Helpful Reviews
Great tool for transcribing music - As a music teacher, I've been transcribing musical solos for over 25 years and I have to say I love this program. I just upgraded from version 2 and version 3 adds a few bells and whistles that make it a more polished product. Pros: Fast, easy to use, built-in vocal reduction, built-in speed and pitch changes, chord recognition, an all-in-one solution for transcribing songs and solos. Cons: Chord recognition isn't perfect, a bit pricey for the hobbyist, can get a little glitchy at extreme pitch or time changes. For me, this is a great for teaching and also for figuring out those really tough solos. Other reviewers pointed out that it wasn't accurate for detecting chords but that's a tall order since the same group of notes can technically be more than one chord. Add to that a moving bass line and other instruments playing different inversions and even a human will have some trouble from time to time detecting the correct chord. And as others have pointed out, you can do pitch changes and time changes in Logic and other audio programs (if you own them) but having all the tools optimized for learning makes this a faster solution. I used to bounce songs between two audio editors and now I just use Capo. It also looks like the developers are always tweaking the software and adding features so I can't wait to see how Capo improves over the next year. This is a must have for serious students and music arrangers and educators.
Garbage - Chord detection is all over the place. I have tried numerous songs in my iTunes library and it has gotten a handful of chords correct. NOT timing. NOT changes. Tabs? Aparently you write them yourself. Spectogram is a complete gimmick. It literally can’t pick up a simple opening to an acoustic song. Be warned, you will still visit google regularly to search for tabs and chords. But hey, spend thirty bucks and you can comlpetely transcribe them over to this crapapp while looking at your guitar on the stand. Asked for refund and got no response. Typical. Ladies and Gents, apps won’t make you guitarists or musicians. Playing music will. Listening to music will as well. I thought this could be a cool app to easily jam along to songs with, while helping me out with some notation. Wrong. Save your money and go learn so Jimi.
More Reviews for Current Version
Useful. Not perfect, but improving. - The developer keeps improving this app, and I have found it quite useful. If you’re an aspiring musician, it’s worth the very reasonable price for the parts that work well. It cannot always deliver on getting chords right, particularly on more complex songs (although I have not tested this on the most recent version yet). The best thing about Capo is the ability to slow down the tempo while keeping it in the same key, or pitching the song up or down while keeping the same tempo. You can also mute out certain ranges of sound so that you can play along without doubling the part. It does these things very well.
Feature Request - Can you please add the abilty to make custom sized marker regions that don’t snap to the grid/beat, just like you recently did for the iOS app? Thanks!