Developer: Metaclassy, Lda.
Current Version: 2.8.1
Last Updated: 3 months ago
Download Size: 3.3 MB - Download
Byword makes writing notes and long-form texts easier on your Mac.
# Key features of Byword
- Designed to make writing easier with Markdown
- Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
- Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for extra efficiency
- Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
- The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
- Export documents to PDF and HTML documents
- Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote
# Blog publishing
Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote from Byword. Posting to your blog with Byword is as simples as:
1. Write something in Byword
2. Open File menu and select Publish
3. Confirm metadata
# More features
- List continuations
- Typewriter scrolling mode
- Great text manipulation helpers
- Word and character counters with live update
- Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
- Extensive VoiceOver API support for visual impaired users
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
- For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces
- For research, meeting and class notes
- To write that important email without being distracted
- To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Enhanced for macOS Sierra
- Tabs: Merge multiple documents in one window (Window > Merge All Windows)
- iCloud Drive: Sync your documents seamlessly across your devices and apps
- Handoff: Start writing on your iPhone and pick up where you left off when you sit down at your Mac
- Split screen: In case you need an extra window side by side for research
- Full screen: Get even more immersed in your words
- Autosave: Time to stop worrying about saving your work
- Versions: Review past iterations of your compositions
- Resume: Always open your documents where you left off
- Tags: A powerful new way to organize your files
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support over email. If you have suggestions or questions, please contact us using one the methods below.
Email: [email protected]
Improved compatibility with future versions of macOS.
Most Helpful Reviews
Fantastic - If anyone is considering buying iA Writer PRO or iA writer, please look no further than this app. This app has empathy for the user. It has limited settings, and is simple, but the settings it does have, are those that matters most. You can change the font size and make sure you can read it. iA Writer doesn’t do that. That’s something extremely small like “oh why would I Want that", but it is ridiculously important, because when you need it most, when you’re foaming at the mouth with inspiration, and you gotta be like “oh shoot how do I make this text bigger again, gosh my eyes are getting old” and by the time you have opened the program, figured out how to get the text bigger, realize it isn’t big enough, and THEN switch to another app (probably Byword) you’ll have forgotten EVERYTHING you ever wanted to write or accomplish in your entire life. Very much like taking a sticker off an apple. I really do love this app, and it’s iOS counterpart. The only thing it misses are text analyzing features, which you are in Marked 2, and they are even better than the analyzing features in iA Writer Pro. Trust me. I’ve tried them all. Peeled off all the stickers on all the apples.
I paid for this app and it turns into crippleware? - So this is a pretty simple text app. What it does, it does well but with a very limited feature set. I paid for it originally for its Markdown capabilities but its no better or worse than any other text app that works with Markdown. Now the developer decides wouldn't it be cool to make another 50% off of me, throwing up offers and greyed out functionality. No its not cool. The future of Mac apps is In-App-Purchases? That's a sucky future. And this app is not special enough to bother with.
More Reviews for Current Version
Byword is a great app! - Love its ability to publish directly to several of the popular blog sites. Great price.
LOVE Byword - Love this app. Makes it so easy to write on the fly! Don’t have to remember to save and seamlessly transitions from device to device. Then when I’m ready to post on my blog to covert to Word, bada boom, bada bang. It also makes citing references very easy. If you write a lot, you gotta have ByWord!
Indispensable - No frills, distraction-free writing at its best. I write nearly everything in Byword. I’ve been using it for about 5 years.
My Go To Writting App - I’ve tried a bunch of different writing applications but the one I keep coming back to is Byword. It’s elegant, efficient and actually makes it a joy to write. Any time I need to take a minute and write something out — such as an email, blog post, this review — Byword is where I go. The ability to push aside other apps and interfaces and simply *write* is invaluable to me and makes this tool indispensible on macOS and iOS.
ambience - Like several previous reviewers, I was a former Ulysses user until their business practices left a bad taste in my mouth as well. I found Byword and, deciding to try it, I will recommend this program for those who are looking for a nice markdown program that works on Ipad/Mac. I write frequently on both and the icloud sync without a subscription price is heaven. I am not a fan of markdown. I do not mind formatting options, but Byword has a casual format which helps me as I write better that way rather than faced with something that looks so official. I used to just use email programs to sketch things out on, but now I use Byword. I draft things out on Byword first and then switch them over to another program, like word or pages, to do the serious editing and then to Scrivener for the final version. It’s clumsy, but it works. I enjoy Byword for this. My only con here with Byword is that if you want to use the icloud on both mac/ipad, you cannot use its option of rich text. That would help me more as I am constantly writing longer works that need lots of formatting. I also wish that there were more options to change paper background, text color, and such to make it easier on the eyes, but these are just little things. I like how it manages the narrow, wide, etc. Other than this, I am glad that I found Byword. It is an excellent program for what I use it for and I will continue to use it. Other than the rich text option, I hope that the developers work on the formatting options mentioned above, and keep the ambience of the program the same.