Developer: Metaclassy, Lda.
Current Version: 2.8
Last Updated: 5 months ago
Download Size: 3.2 MB - Download
Byword is designed to make writing more enjoyable with Markdown on your Mac.
# Key features of Byword
- Designed to make writing more enjoyable using Markdown
- Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
- Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for extra efficiency
- Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
- The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
- Export documents to PDF and HTML documents
- Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote
# Blog publishing
Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote from Byword. Posting to your blog with Byword is as simples as:
1. Write something in Byword
2. Open File menu and select Publish
3. Confirm metadata
# More features
- List continuations
- Typewriter scrolling mode
- Great text manipulation helpers
- Word and character counters with live update
- Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
- Extensive VoiceOver API support for visual impaired users
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
- For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces
- For research, meeting and class notes
- To write that important email without being distracted
- To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Enhanced for macOS Sierra
- Tabs: Merge multiple documents in one window (Window > Merge All Windows)
- iCloud Drive: Sync your documents seamlessly across your devices and apps
- Handoff: Start writing on your iPhone and pick up where you left off when you sit down at your Mac
- Split screen: In case you need an extra window side by side for research
- Full screen: Get even more immersed in your words
- Autosave: Time to stop worrying about saving your work
- Versions: Review past iterations of your compositions
- Resume: Always open your documents where you left off
- Tags: A powerful new way to organize your files
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support over email. If you have suggestions or questions, please contact us using one the methods below.
Email: [email protected]
* Publishing features are now available to all users; in app purchase no longer needed;
* Support for publishing articles to your Medium publications;
* Bug fixes.
Most Helpful Reviews
Fantastic - If anyone is considering buying iA Writer PRO or iA writer, please look no further than this app. This app has empathy for the user. It has limited settings, and is simple, but the settings it does have, are those that matters most. You can change the font size and make sure you can read it. iA Writer doesn’t do that. That’s something extremely small like “oh why would I Want that", but it is ridiculously important, because when you need it most, when you’re foaming at the mouth with inspiration, and you gotta be like “oh shoot how do I make this text bigger again, gosh my eyes are getting old” and by the time you have opened the program, figured out how to get the text bigger, realize it isn’t big enough, and THEN switch to another app (probably Byword) you’ll have forgotten EVERYTHING you ever wanted to write or accomplish in your entire life. Very much like taking a sticker off an apple. I really do love this app, and it’s iOS counterpart. The only thing it misses are text analyzing features, which you are in Marked 2, and they are even better than the analyzing features in iA Writer Pro. Trust me. I’ve tried them all. Peeled off all the stickers on all the apples.
I paid for this app and it turns into crippleware? - So this is a pretty simple text app. What it does, it does well but with a very limited feature set. I paid for it originally for its Markdown capabilities but its no better or worse than any other text app that works with Markdown. Now the developer decides wouldn't it be cool to make another 50% off of me, throwing up offers and greyed out functionality. No its not cool. The future of Mac apps is In-App-Purchases? That's a sucky future. And this app is not special enough to bother with.
More Reviews for Current Version
Indispensible Markdown Editor - This app is a key part of my blogging production. The markdown support is solid. The app is stable. And it publishes to Blogger without a hitch. I only wish it could retrieve articles from Blogger so that I could re-edit them. ★★★★★ app.
Great Writing Tool, Not so Great for Technical Writing - The writing experience in this app is great. It’s simple, and elegant. What I like most about the app is having the inline markdown formatting. For instance, **bold** text is rendered bold, even without the preview. You can write markdown and get an idea of how it will look without constantly switching back-and-forth to preview. However, I purchased this app to write technical documents with lots of code references. I was hoping my favorite functionality (formatting in raw markdown) would extend to code samples. The support for writing code is pretty rudimentary, though. There is no notable inline handling. Indented code blocks look just like regular text. There is no syntax highlighting at all, not even in preview mode. Any code blocks are rendered in the same font you’ve selected, so that leaves you with two bad choices: 1) Choose a more legible font, but deal with awkward spacing in your code samples, or 2) Choose a less legible font, but have your code samples look correct. This is a nice app, I would enjoy it if I were using it for more traditional writing. If you are looking for something to document your source code with, you’ll save money and be happier with something like Atom, Sublime, or VS Code.
By far the best - I’m a writer not only by trade, but also as a life. Byword is the best thing when it comes to putting words down onto a page. I use other programs; Final Draft for my scripts, Scrivener for my books, MS Word for business, but Byword is my go-to when I want to get back to basics. It’s perfect for Wordpress, as it incorporates Markdown, and it publishes directly to your blog seamlessly. I’ve searched a long time for an app like this. I love the freedom of creativity it brings in a simple U/I - not to many bells and whistles, but just enough to get the job done easily and without distraction.
like a beautiful, clean, blank sheet of paper - This app is the closet thing you’ll find to a clean, blank piece of paper. Also, no UI distractions and only the essential, necessary preferences.
Great Tool - I have been working on improving my writing by trying to write 500 words each day. I have use a variety of word processors (Word, Pages, etc..) and they each have their niche. When I discovered Byword, it was like a gateway to creativity had opened. The minimalist interface was a joy to work in. Nothing to distract me from my writing, just me and a blank “piece” of paper. I love it.