Developer: Snowmint Creative Solutions LLC
Current Version: 6.7
Last Updated: 4 years ago
Download Size: 11.2 MB - Download
Tired of living payday to payday? Can't get out of debt? Try a better way to manage your bank account(s). Budget is based on the tried and true envelope method of budgeting. It's a much easier way to see where your money is, where it's needed, and where it went.
Budget can be used stand alone or synced with Budget Touch on iOS devices. When used together Budget and Budget Touch are an unbeatable combination to help you manage your money, stay out of debt, and save for the fun things in life.
- Set a password to protect your financial data with industry standard AES-128 encryption.
- Fast transaction entry: Select from a list of previous entries or type a new entry, enter an amount, and click Record. It's that simple.
- Transaction support for deposits, checks, debits, ATM, charges, refunds, and credit card payments.
- Create transactions in single envelopes or split them between multiple envelopes.
- Enter your income to a single envelope or use the split deposit to manually distribute it.
- Transfer money between envelopes or accounts.
- Import OFX or QIF files from your bank for even less data entry; set up rules to help assign imported transactions to the correct envelope.
- Create as many bank accounts, credit card accounts, envelopes and envelope groups as you want to categorize your expenses.
- Customize your accounts and envelopes with built in icons.
- Set spending limits for your envelopes and see graphically how you are doing.
- See account balances, envelope balances, net balances, and a running balance with your transactions.
- Bank accounts can be reconciled (balanced) against bank statements.
- Get graphs and reports for expenses, deposits, budgets, and many more.
- Export your data in either tab-separated, QIF or OFX format.
- Export reports in plain text or PDF format.
- Define your income and have Budget calculate how much to put towards each envelope.
- Automatically distribute your income to your envelopes.
- If needed, prioritize and distribute deposits to envelopes using a powerful rule based system.
- iCal and Address Book integration.
US English, British English, partial Spanish, French, German, Italian and Polish translations
+ Added the ability to sync associated envelopes with Budget Touch.
+ Added the ability to merge two envelopes.
+ Added the ability to automatically record reminders.
+ Attempted overdraft of envelope now results in message to transfer funds rather than transfer window.
- Fixed reminder bug that caused recorded pays to show up in the calendar.
- Fixed cents truncation in pay rules.
- Fixed editing transaction to different account or envelope and changing amount at same time.
Most Helpful Reviews
happy customer since 2003 - I started using Budget in January 2003 because I was annoyed with having to buy a new version of the big-name personal finance software every few years. I also wanted a way to handle my money that would work like Dad's old cash-only envelope system of budgeting. That is, each time you get paid, you distribute the money into different envelopes (or buckets, categories, etc.) for different expense categories. Then when you spend your money, you are forced to think about "what envelope should I use to pay for this" and "do I have enough in that envelope for it." Budget was exactly what I was looking for. It lets you plan and track your spending with as little or as much detail as you want. It's easy to change budgeted amounts for different envelopes as your budget evolves. At the end of the year, I can easily see if I've dedicated too much or not enough money to a given envelope. I also rely heavily on the calendar/reminders feature in Budget. As long as I check in with Budget every few days, I know I won't miss any bill payments, including pesky quarterly, annual, and semiannual bills. I also bought a copy of Budget for my mom, who's retired and living on her own, so that she could more easily plan her finances, pay her bills, and balance her "checkbook." There is a QIF/OFX import feature, but I've never used it. I enter each deposit / withdrawal / charge / payment as I go, and then balance (reconcile) each account monthly against my bank / card statement. Regarding the 1-star reviews, I guess I'd be upset too if I paid good $ for an app and then realized that I don't like it. YOU CAN AVOID THIS SITUATION THOUGH! Click the "Budget Support" link above. There you will find a free trial download, loads of documentation on how to use Budget, and discussion forums where you can get help from fellow users and from the developers themselves. Try it out, and if you don't like it, don't buy it. :)
Savings Tip: Don't Buy This Confusing Application - I found this application to be utterly worthless. Installed it, read the manual, tried to work with it, but found the program completely un-intuitive and un-helpful. Took me and hour and half to import 3 months of simple bank transactions, and the result was that I could see almost nothing informative about where my money was going. This notion of "envelopes" is quaint, but it confuses the issue tremendously. Do yourself a favor and wait for a major re-design of this application before buying.
More Reviews for Current Version
Flexible, Works as Advertised - Relatively easy to set up, but takes about 30 minutes to figure out how to fill buckets--needs to be better clarified in instructions. You can set up a budget based on your checkbook, or outside the checkbook as a debit account---great when you are sharing expenses and don't want to wash them through your personal checking account. Once filled, it is easy to move money from one bucket to another using the "Available" or any other envelope that has a positive balance. Hasn't crashed yet---using MacBook Air, OSX 10.8.2.
Ready for the next level - This app is great, too bad they havent taken advantage of the cloud…. Would be great if the iOS version could sync in the cloud while on the go. There hasnt been an update in a while, are they still here working on it?
New version has major issues - I have used the former versions of this app for 3 years and have loved it. The new version keeps crashing. I thought it was because we had just done a complete virus/cookies scan of our computer so I reinstalled the app, recreated a new account and envelopes which took me several hours and now it has crashed again.
Works great for me. - I’ve been using this application for almost 10 years now? It’s essential to my understanding of what is going on with my money. Once a month I sit down, balance all my accounts and can make decisions about payements and budeting to the penny and ultimately gain a great deal of confidence out of understanding what is where. Because of this I don’t rally think of my accounts or money during the rest of the month which is a huge releif honestly. My suggestion if you are starting out with the Envelope Method, I recall it taking a few months to really get the hang of things but I have not regretted it.
Frustrating - Difficult to understand, difficult to set up envelopes. Instructions are not at all user friendly. First day using it and has crashed 6 times, have lost work and had to restart 3 times. It would have been easier to buy real envelopes and put cash in them than to use this program. Do not recommend