Developer: Marcel Bresink Software-Systeme
Current Version: 2.4
Last Updated: 17 days ago
Download Size: 4 MB - Download
NOTE: A computer with a battery compliant with the Smart Battery standard is required. All portable Apple computers with Intel processors fulfill this requirement.
More and more computers are mobile devices nowadays. The most important prerequisite for a portable computer is a chargable battery which keeps the device powered. Batteries are not really cheap replacement parts and they are subject to wear and tear. Their lifetimes should be optimized, handling them with the necessary care. Battery Monitor is a small auxiliary application useful in this regard. It offers the following features:
- Display of the charge state in the Dock: This is useful if you cannot or do not like to use the display in the menu bar of macOS, e.g. when you have a screen which is not very wide. Battery Monitor can also show the estimated remaining run time in the Dock menu, even if you are using an operating system which suppresses this information in the menu bar.
- Display of internal battery information: In addition to the charge state, many other technical specifications, e.g. age, temperature, discharge current, number of charge cycles, expected lifetime, or capacity can be retrieved. The states of each of the battery cells and the manufacturer of the cells can also be determined.
- Capturing charge and discharge curves: The history of the readings measured by the battery unit can be displayed graphically. This way you can plot the charge and discharge curves, for example, one of the most important characteristics for the health of a battery. You can also review the graphical profile of the amperage drawn by the computer, helping to find “power guzzling applications”.
- Bookkeeping of the aging process of the battery: Battery Monitor automatically keeps a log about the charge capacity of the battery which will decrease as the battery ages. This helps you to exactly monitor how the behavior of the battery is changing over time. You can assess if your battery is working normally or if it might be defective. You can also estimate more exactly when the right time has come to purchase a new battery. For computers with replaceable battery units, Battery Monitor can of course monitor multiple battery packs at the same time.
- Notifications during charge or discharge: In addition to the display of the charge state in the Dock, Battery Monitor can optionally inform you about the progress of the charge or discharge process by other means. Inobtrusive notifications using speech or the Notification Center of macOS can be set up.
- Added a new feature to display the estimated error of the battery's capacity value.
- Added a new feature to show an optional warning when the estimated error of the capacity value becomes too large and the battery needs to be re-calibrated.
- Added a new subsection in the reference manual to document the meaning of the battery defect list.
- By request, the user interface to control charge level display mode has been redesigned.
- Numerical readings in the main window are now presented more consistently with the user's current locale settings.
Most Helpful Reviews
Marcel Bresink's Battery Monitor - This extremely well designed Battery Monitor App is really the only Battery App worthy of installation into OS X. It demonstrates a detailed understanding of not only Mac's Smart Battery internals but of basic Li ion battery electrochemistry. Considering the fact that a replacement battery costs at least $129, this 5$ App is a very good investment. Be nice to your Battery!
Not very useful and doesn't work. - When I first ran Battery Monitor, I was disappointed in the amount of information available. On the main screen, the overview, there is some basic information about the battery, which was interesting to see the first time, but of limited use. The other screens were initially blank, because they are graphs of different battery parameters, such as voltage, over time. Although graphs are nice, the data mean little. Battery Monitor does nothing but display unhelpful data. Well, that's what it's supposed to do. My Battery Monitor overview page has not updated in two days. It shows an incorrect voltage and does not recognize that the charger is attached. I'm going to uninstall Battery Monitor rather than ask for technical support, because I don't care about the data the app provides when it is working correctly.
More Reviews for Current Version
Awesome Program - This is a great little program for viewing battery information and monitoring charge status. I would like an option to hide the window so that it's not cluttering the command tab list. If it could sit out of the way in the menu bar and speak battery information, it would be even better. update: This still doesn't seem to be possible in the new version. Please add this useful feature.