Developer: William Gustafson
Current Version: 3.0.2
Last Updated: 6 months ago
Download Size: 3.4 MB - Download
Amphetamine is a little app that lives in your menu bar. With Amphetamine, you can effortlessly override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake.
- Keep your Mac (and optionally its display and drives) awake
- Choose from numerous activation time presets, or enter your own
- Keep your Mac awake while specific apps are running
- Schedule activation/deactivation for specific times of the day
- Activate/deactivate with a single click in the menu bar
- Activate automatically at launch login
- Activate when connected to specific WiFi networks
- Keep drives (HDDs/SSDs) connected to your Mac awake
- Use global hotkeys for activation/deactivation
- Receive alerts while Amphetamine is running or when it activates/deactivates
- Auto-deactivate when your Mac's battery drops below a set threshold
- Auto-activate when you connect your Mac's power adapter
- Allow/prevent screen saver
- Use your own status icons
- Custom notification sounds
- AppleScript support
Amphetamine supports Retina displays and OS X's dark mode.
Amphetamine is 100% free (no ads, no in-app purchases).
After you launch Amphetamine, you must activate it by clicking on its menu icon. If you do not activate Amphetamine, your Mac will sleep normally, per your energy saver settings.
Please note that keeping your Mac laptop awake while the lid is closed is not possible for an app from the Mac App Store.
Amphetamine requires OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements
- Option to send a notification on manual start/stop of session in Preferences
- Resolves an issue where some Preferences would not save
- Improves status icon quality on non-Retina displays in systems prior to Yosemite
- Other small bug fixes and improvements
- Set up an infinite number of Triggers, each with its own set of conditions
- Expanded schedule options for Triggers
- Trigger sessions and "single-use" sessions now operate independently
- New icons and sounds
- Hide/show icon in Dock option in Preferences
- Complete rewrite of application
- A bunch of little things you probably won't notice
Note: Amphetamine³ drops support for OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion (sorry!) and now requires 10.8 Mountain Lion or higher.
Most Helpful Reviews
Caffeine, but more addicting. - This is similar to caffeine, but has more options/ uses. No, it wont keep your screen awake when you close the lid but thats not what it claims to do. What does it do? Everything else. Keeps your mac awake when using certain apps, keeps it awake on a schedule if you have one. This is my favorite, so while I study it stays awake. Whats niffty if that it auto turns off as well if your battery is low as not to drain the remaining battery (optional: but I like it). And if you like science you can change your icon to molecule which is rad. Download it, you wont be sorry. If it is to strong for you, then you can always go back to weaker stuff: caffeine.
Nice Idea, awful execution - This app is a pretty good idea and it looks a lot better than caffeine given the features, however it is incredibly buggy so you can barely take advantage of all of the features. When you click on the menu bar icon for amphetamine, the options dropdown menu pops down, but only for about half a second. It disappears immediately after no matter what I tried to do. This made it very dificult to change the settings, activate it, attempt to leave feedback at their website(that’s why I’m here instead of there, their feedback button didn’t even work), and eventually once I was finished trying to deal with it, quit the app so I could uninstall it. I have literally never had that happen with any other menu bar app, so I am very disappointed in these developers. This app has some nice vision and I could see using it once they make it usable, but at this point it really is unusably bad.
More Reviews for Current Version
Great alternative to Caffeine! - I’ve been using the Caffeine app for a few years now to keep my computer awake, but I’ve noticed for quite some time now that it gets a little buggy displaying in the menu bar. I went to go check when it was last updated only to realize that the developer pulled it from the App Store. I was disappointed because Caffeine treated me so well for so long. I came across Amphetamine and, skeptic that it would be as good as Caffeine, decided to try it out. To my surprise, it does exacty what I want and even more. Admittedly, I was extremely disappointed with the default menu bar icon, but there is an option to change it to one of several other icons, including one that looks similar to Caffeine’s coffee cup icon (empty when inactive and full when active). Another nice touch is that you can have the icon dimmed to gray when Amphetamine is inactive. If you are a Caffeine user looking for a much-needed update, definitely give Amphetamine a try.
Great Application and Developer! - Thank you for your hard work and dedication towards the development of this useful App! I can’t imagine working on my MacBook without it now!
Just What I Needed - Fantastic app that was clearly written with love. Does everything I need it to and more. A must-have for every Mac.
Almost 5 stars - What is lacking as far as I’m concerned is the ability to customize a start and stop time, even thought it says that it does. The application gives you sets amount of time to be active or it will let you set a custom hours and minutes to be active. What it won’t do is allow you to set a time to become active and a time to shut down. There is a link on the developer’s web site that lets you pull in a version that will all you to do just that, but if you load it and use it, the first time it updates from the app store the ability to set custom start and stop ends. Whenever the developer makes this a standard item in the application I will rerate this program and give it 5 stars.
Adderall for your Mac - Now I can finish builds and downloads without my Mac falling asleep 😄