Acorn 6 Image Editor
Developer: Flying Meat Inc.
Current Version: 6.1.1
Last Updated: 5 days ago
Download Size: 11.2 MB - Download
# Mac App Store Best of 2015
The Image Editor for Humans.
Everyone needs to edit photos at some point, but not everyone has the time to learn complicated super pricey photo editing software. This is why we created Acorn. Add text and shapes to your digital pictures. Combine images together to create a photo collage. Work with layers to touch up your favorite photos or make something entirely new from scratch. Do all this and more with Acorn!
Latest Features Highlights
* Text on a path. Create a path with any of Acorn’s shape tools, then add text!
* Enhanced clone tool to clone across layers, images, and even clone group or shape layers.
* Updated web export window includes the ability to zoom, pan, scale, convert color profile, and retain or remove image metadata
* Smart layer export, Acorn’s alternative to slicing, has a new configurable palette to export your layers from 1x-5x.
What can Acorn do? Here’s a glimpse at a handful of Acorn’s capabilities:
* Remove image backgrounds using the magic wand selection tool or instant alpha eraser tools
* Combine images together to create collages or photo layouts
* Create logos and other vector designs using the path text tool or circle text
* Correct blemishes or image imperfections using the clone tool
* Easily adjust the contrast, highlights, shadows, and midtones in your images using levels and curves
* Lighten or darken images using blending modes, filters, or touch-up tools
Powerful Image and Layer Capabilities
* Over 25 different non-destructive blending mode options
* Unlimited layers and group layers
* Layer masks for nondestructive editing
* Transform, rotate, move, lock, merge, delete, and duplicate your layers
* Snap to grid, guides, selections, shapes, layers, and the canvas
* Supports image depth of 8, 16, and 32 bits per channel
Filters, Layer Styles, and Effects
* Unlimited combinations of layer styles and non-destructive filters possible
* Save and modify your filters later
* Create filter presets
* Tilt shift, vignette, drop shadow, distortions, & blurs
* Over one hundred additional effects
* Non-destructive curves and levels to adjust individual color channels
The Tools You Need
* Customizable clone, stamp, dodge, burn, blur, eraser, and smudge brushes
* Built-in brush designer for control of softness, spacing, and dozens of other brush refinements
* Drag and drop to import photoshop brushes
* Multi-stop live gradients
* Rectangle, elliptical, freehand, polygonal, and magic wand selection tools for making precise selections
* Convert selection to shape
* Quickmask mode to paint on a selection
* Custom color picker
* Stars, arrows, bézier curves, circles, lines, and rectangles
* Shape processor to move, tweak, generate, and adjust shapes in a stackable non-destructive interface
* Boolean shape operations include union, intersect, difference and exclude.
* Convert text to bézier paths for finer control of your text
* Snap shapes to pixel boundaries for precise alignment
Sharing & File Support
* Photos extension to edit your images from Photos
* Share images to Photos, Facebook, Twitter, and more
* Import JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, PDF, PSD, BMP, PSD, RAW, PICT, SVG, TGA, ICO, and AI (with PDF compatibility turned on)
* Export JPEG, JPEG 2000, PNG, TIFF, GIF, PDF, PSD, BMP, SVG, TGA, & ICO
* Export TIFF and JPEG with CMYK color profile
* RAW image import of 32, 64, & 128 bit images
* Create layered screenshots of every window you have open on your computer
* Web export with wide gamut detection
* Automatable + scriptable.
* Perform batch image editing using Automator, AppleScript, and JS
* Editable image metadata
* Touch bar support
Acorn’s offers extensive online documentation, tutorials, a forum, and responsive support staff. You don’t have to learn by yourself. If you ever run into any issues, please let us know by writing to [email protected]
# Metal 2 support on macOS High Sierra 10.13 and later!
So what does this get you? Faster panning, brushing, fills, and just a general speed improvement overall. Acorn should feel more fluid, and we've even seen framerates over 160 FPS when brushing on a 2015 iMac 5k.
We've also added some new preferences to choose where the rendering happens, located under the Fussy Stuff tab. You can choose Metal, OpenGL, or Software. You can also choose if the data for your image is stored on the GPU or on the CPU (we realize this is a little ridiculous, and we'll remove these options in a future release, but they are great for playing around with right now).
If you find that things aren't faster for you- let us know (by emailing [email protected]). We're super responsive and would love to hear about any problems, or even if things are awesome++ for you.
# Other New things
* By very popular demand, color icons are back! They are turned on by default, but if you liked the way things looked previously you can turn off the "Color Interface" option in the General preferences tab.
* When taking screenshots the Touch Bar is now included if you're lucky enough to have a MacBook Pro.
* Support for 30 bit image display for the new iMac Pro.
* The Replace Color filter has a new option to ignore alpha when comparing colors.
* Transforms are a bit faster now by drawing a low-quality transform when moving, and then a high quality one when Acorn has more time to do the rendering.
* Added a new pref to turn on or off checking for important news.
* Removed some old text styles that no longer made sense, and added some new ones (this is under the Edit ▸ Text Style ▸ sub menu. Did you know you can make your own to save in Acorn's App Support folder?).
* The App Store version of Acorn no longer has an option to purchase a 14 day free trial for $0. Various Apple App Store bugs, incomplete APIs, and a general bad experience all around caused us to think hard about removing it and we think it's best to do so for now. A 14 day free trial is still available via our website, where you can download Acorn and try it out right away.
* Various little Quality of Life fixes.
* Various undo notifications are now 94% more accurate.
* Removed some filters which showed up in 10.13 that didn't make sense for Acorn (Hello CILabDeltaE, I'm looking specificaly at you).
* Fixed an issue where indexed PNGs were opening up empty.
# Version 6.1.1
* Fixed a crasher which could occur on macOS 10.12 when using undo after drawing with the paint brush.
* Fixed a problem where bringing up the feedback window on 10.13 didn't always allow you to start typing right away.
If you like Acorn, we'd love it if you could take a moment and give it a nice review. It helps Acorn get noticed, which helps everyone in the long run.
Most Helpful Reviews
LOVE this app - HIGHLY RECOMMEND. This is genuinely an amazing app, especially when considering the price. I do graphic designs for newsletters, cover art for independent book publishers, as well as logos for local/regional businesses. It took one small logo job to recuperate the cost of the app. I have been using this since version 2.0 and I haven’t hesitated to purchase the major updates, and I appreciate the developer's frequent updates and bug fixes. This app is simple and powerful, and I learn a little more every time I use it. Online info for features is easy to find.
not much of a free trial - I was exctied when I read the reviews. I realize FREE is usually not all that great, but I wanted to try out the app first. I spent a day trying to download. Finally I closed the app store and reopened. Now Acorn is on my computer, and it’s open. I can do NOTHING! Not a single tool works, unless I pay for the full version. So much for the 2-week free trial. I would probablly just paid for it anyway, but I feel like I was tricked.