Acorn 5 - The Image Editor for Humans
Developer: Flying Meat Inc.
Current Version: 5.6.5
Last Updated: 5 months ago
Download Size: 11.2 MB - Download
Everyone needs to edit photos at some point, but not everyone has the time to learn complicated super pricey photo editing software. This is why we created Acorn. Add text and shapes to your digital pictures. Combine images together to create a photo collage. Work with layers to touch up your favorite photos or make something entirely new from scratch. Do all this and more with Acorn!
Powerful Layer Capabilities
* Over 25 different non-destructive blending mode options.
* There is no limit to the number of layers and group layers, so you are never held back in creating complex intricate images.
* Use layer masks to block out unwanted areas of your image or to expose layers below.
* Transform, rotate, move, lock, merge, delete, and duplicate your layers quickly and easily.
* Use Acorn’s snapping to line things up perfectly. Snap to grid, guides, selections, shapes, layers, and the canvas.
Filters, Layer Styles, and Effects
* Apply endless combinations of layer styles and non-destructive filters to create unique effects.
* Save and modify your filters even after you’ve closed and re-opened your Acorn image.
* Customize your own presets and use the on-canvas controls to get things looking just right.
* Tilt shift, vignette, shadow, distortions, blurs, and over a hundred additional effects. Adding effects to your images has never been so easy.
* Use non-destructive curves and levels to adjust the individual color channels to perfect the mid-tones, shadows, highlights, and contrast in your images.
The Tools You Need
* Powerful eraser tools like instant alpha make removing photo backgrounds and other unwanted pixels from your images both fast and fun.
* Use traditional photography techniques like dodge and burn to highlight and darken your images.
* Acorn’s customizable clone, blur, and smudge brushes will have your photos looking great.
* Acorn features brushes that let you draw and sketch right on your image. Use a track pad, mouse, or even a tablet.
* Create your own brushes using Acorn's built in brush designer, or add to your brush library by importing photoshop brushes.
* Use Acorn’s multi-stop live gradients to create beautiful linear and radial gradients for vector shape and bitmap layers.
* Create custom selections, invert, feather, and even add a corner radius. Quickly select an entire color using the magic wand.
* Quickmask mode allows you to easily create and edit your selections like never before.
* Acorn’s text tool gives you control over your text in a simple interface. Everything is in the text palette from bold and italic to kerning and ligatures.
* Stars, arrows, bézier curves, circles, lines, and squares are just a handful of the vector features awaiting you.
* Use Acorn’s powerful shape processor to move, tweak, generate, and adjust shapes. Best of all, shape processors are non-destructible and stackable just like Acorn’s filters.
* Boolean shape operations include union, intersect, difference and exclude. Create complex vectors with ease.
* Convert text to bézier paths, add and subtract bézier points, and have your edges snap to pixel boundaries for precise alignment.
* RAW image import that allows you to import as 32, 64, or even 128 bit images.
* Create layered screenshots of every window you have open on your computer. It’s magic.
* Optimize and export your images for the web as PNG, JPEG, JPEG 2000, and GIF.
* Use Acorn’s Smart Layer Export for easy 1x and 2x image export.
* Retina canvas support, and image metadata support.
Acorn’s website offers extensive online documentation, tutorials, a forum, and responsive support staff. You don’t have to learn by yourself. If you ever run into any issues, please let us know by writing to [email protected]
# The one about bug fixes!
* Fixed a bug where duplicated documents wouldn't get the correct bit depth set.
* Fixed a bug where selected text could show up in web export.
* Fixed a crasher when importing a RAW image in full screen mode.
* Fixed a bug where RAW images sent to Acorn via Photo's "Edit in Acorn" were not being saved back correctly. Note: if you are on the App Store version of Acorn, you will not get the RAW import window because of Sandboxing restrictions.
* Fixed a bug where an image would snap to the grid even though it was specifically turned off for that image.
* Fixed a bug where the TGA format wasn't always availabe for export.
* Fixed a bug where you couldn't clear the selection while a group layer was active.
* Fixed a bug where the Alpha Multiply filter wasn't being saved in the presets correctly.
* Fixed a crasher when using the Dither filter in combination with a gradient filter.
If you like Acorn, we'd love it if you could take a moment and give it a nice review. It helps Acorn get noticed, which helps everyone in the long run.
Most Helpful Reviews
Bought the old one, bought the upgrade - Why? Because it is an excellent app. Add the original price I paid to this upgrade sale.. guess what? Still a great value. The developer keeps improving this app, and that can’t be done for free folks. I love the added color, hope this becomes a trend. I hate the dark (or gray) look of the competition, the choice of full screen backround color is sufficient and a nice touch.
not pro quality - Don’t waste your time the way I did. If your skills are very very basic, then use it. If you need vector capabilities do not use this app! The most simple vector editing in a professional level program is impossible in this program. Good luck selecting two vector objects to join them. And forget masking two vector objects. I really wish APP STORE would let us trial everything before purchasing.
More Reviews for Current Version
My favorite image editor - It opens fast, edits images fast, and I find it really easy to use. Acorn includes features I use frequently like soft brush edges for cloning, non-destructible curves and levels, support for photoshop brushes, and layer snapping. The 5.5 release added a new color picker which shows a live display of both the RGBA and hex # - who knew picking colors could be fun?! Acorn’s stackable filters are unlike anything else out there. Since updating to 5.6 I have been editing my images from Photos in Acorn using the extension. Acorn is perfect for my needs!
Great to-the-point image editor - I love Acorn for beign a really fast image editor, I find I use it often especially for quick adjustmetns where it’s the asiest program to get in and do what I want. In has a really clear interface and a lot of useful features. The author is also really keep about keeping on top of system changes to the OS so you know it will work well - even includes TouchBar support!